Wednesday, November 28, 2007

21 Day Challenge: John 8

Verse: John 8:11
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Thought: I have many thoughts when I read this story of forgiveness. We are all sinful beings by nature. First thought, who are we to point fingers at other people's sins? With sin and temptation on a daily basis it would seem we shouldn't have time to focus on others if we are taking care of ourselves.
Then again, 2nd thought, we should all help one another. Build one another up. Show each other the way to move past the sin in our lives and make better choices. Show others how to leave their sin behind. For instance, helping those with no home, food, a job. It seems it is easy for someone to buy a meal, hand over a dollar, give them a place to get warm. Often times they need so much more. They need deliverance from an addiction or lifestyle that has ruined their life. They need skills to better themselves. I know this is somewhat off the path of thought, but it is where my mind went when I really thought about this woman. Jesus told her their was forgiveness, and it was up to her to walk away from her sin. As believers we should not just put a temporary band-aid on the sin, but we should take the time to turn them around or remove them from the sin.
Thought 3, oh to be able to forgive like Jesus. Not one other person in this story was able to forgive like Jesus. Forgiving people for the things they do and say, their sin, is not always easy. I wish I could forgive and then forget like Him.
Last thought...Accepting forgiveness, God's forgiveness, can be hard if we do not forgive our selves. This is actually a hard one for me. All I can say is if God thinks we are worth it then accept it and move forward.

Prayer: Lord, in my quest to be more like You, help me to turn others toward You and away from their sin. Continue to work in my heart as I try to forgive myself and others and help me to not carry those hurts with me all the days of my life.

No comments: